[mythtv-users] Live TV Pauses

David myth at dgreaves.com
Wed Jun 30 15:09:31 EDT 2004

Kevin Stussman wrote:

>Followed the instructions here http://wopr.yi.org/mythtv.html and so far
>everything has worked except for two items:
>
>1. I could not get the OSS audio to work properly, but ALSA worked fine.
>So I changed the MythTV audio device to "ASLA:Default" and the sound now
>works fine.
>
>but the part that is driving me crazy is:
>
>2. The live video pauses/jitters/slows down approx every 10 to 20
>seconds. My gut feeling is that either the decoder is somehow not
>keeping up with the video stream or the process of putting the images
>onto the TV is somehow too slow.

sounds likely - sorry - been trying to knock the XFS FUD on the head
Wouldn't want you wasting a time reformating etc

> Here's what I have tried but have had
>no success so far:
>
>- I am using XFS for the main partition and get 56.62 MB/sec with hdparm

Good choice;) Good throughput.
[I use :
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/myth/delete.me bs=8k count=64k
newer dd's will give you a transfer (in this case write) rate
Don't forget to rm the delete.me file.]

>- Updated the Hauppauge firmware drivers for ivtv to the latest I could
>find. (the drivers on the HOWTO are a bit outdated)

Do you mean firmware?
or are you using one of ck's bleeding edge ivtv drivers.
If so then try #71d it's reasonably stable.

>- Tried to update the nvidia-kernel drivers to the latest gentoo build.
>Also tried to use the latest from nvidia.

And did this work?
If you're not using the nvidia hw accel then you will be stressing the CPU
That's what it sounds like.

>- Nice'd mythfrontend to 15 (as per a suggestion to help someone with a
>similar problem)
>

>- I have audio buffers and interlace set to on and XvMC off (also per
>the guide)

Try with  interlace turned off (I'm guessing here - someone correct me -
but you're outputting to a TV so it won't make any difference and it may
well cause extra processing and bypass HW accel ???)

>- Tried setting the mythtv video device to /dev/video16 and /dev/video32

why?

>- The load average is between 1 and 3 when watching live tv, with X
>leading the pack in CPU usage, but the cpu is only at 20-40% used.

no HW accel for XV

>- I tried to increase the buffers for the ivtv module, but i'm not sure
>it did anything: options ivtv ivtv-debug=0 mpg_buffers=100
>dec_mpg_buffers=100 yuv_buffers=100 dec_mpg_qlen=100
>

>A couple of observations/suggestions:
>- I am using the svideo out on the nvidia card, but am not sure if my
>settings are correct...could that have an effect in something like this?

If it displays on the TV then it's working OK.

>- When I switch channels, there is a noticeable pause,

normal

> then the first
>few seconds are jittery/slow,

yeah,  I've had that.

> then smooth sections and the 10-20 second
>pause/jitter/slowdown start. But recorded shows seem to play back
>without the pauses (still verifying this).

So the captures are good.

I don't think you are using XV properly

Since I RMA'd my nvidia motherboard today I can't check any settings :'-(

David