[mythtv-users] Live TV Pauses

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Wed Jun 30 13:10:03 EDT 2004

On hardware like that, load average and CPU usage is waaaaaaaaay too high.
I'm on a 2400 with an nVidia FX MX4000, load average is never above about
0.3 and CPU usage is at about 1% when watching paused live TV, and hits
about 20% with deinterlacing.

Number one culprit I'd say is DMA on the hard drive. Delve into hdparm and
check that DMA is i) enabled and b) working.

I use a VIA KM400 chipset and 512MB of PC2700 with a PVR-250. Other than
regular core dumps and kernel panics with the latest gentoo-sources,
everything has worked simmingly.