[mythtv-users] pcHDTV signal strength issue

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Wed Jun 30 08:11:37 EDT 2004

David George wrote:

> I also went into the channel editor and changed the freqid as per messages
> I found in the pcHDTV forum and in the Myth mailing list.  I got kinda
> conflicting info on what to use for the freqid.  For example in
> Charleston, CBS broadcasts NTSC on channel 5 and ATSC on channel 47.  I
> tried putting 47 in the freqid, but then found other messages that seemed
> to imply that the freqid field should be 5-1.  I have tried both and get
> the same 13% signal strength.  This is on a channel that dtvsignal says is
> about 85%.

Freqid should be 47-1 for that channel (though the '-1' is not important
unless the channel has subchannels).

> I am running FC2 with kernel.org 2.6.7 with kraxel v4l2 and pcHDTV
> patches.  I am running MythTV CVS as of maybe 2 days ago.

Does dtvsignal take a while to stabilize for you?  You might try
increasing the amount of time Myth samples the signal strength (one of
the settings in Mythfrontend).

On my system, I have to use one of the utilities that sets the channel
(dtvsignal, etc.) once before running Myth for the first time after a
reboot.  Haven't had time to look into it.

Signal strength can vary from hour to hour and day to day.  Make sure to
do your debugging in the same session as you're seeing failures.

You might also disable the signal strenth check in Myth (requires
rebuilding) to see if it's giving bad results -- though it uses the same
code as dtvsignal so I'm not sure why it should.

-Doug