[mythtv-users] PVR-250 and weird recordings, slowing/speeding

James L. Paul james at mauiguru.com
Wed Jun 30 02:22:27 EDT 2004

Aloha,

Dual PVR-250 Redhat9 box running 0.15, Athlon 1.4GHz with JFS filesystem, all
drives DMA. Everything has been working very well for months. Nothing has
been reconfigured since 0.15 was released. Using ivtv 0.1.9.

Has anybody seen a problem like this:

Within the past week I've suddenly begun having some recorded programs show
timing problems. It's not a playback problem, if I move the captured file to
another machine it shows the same effect. It's hard to describe, but the
video and audio look fine but "skip" forward a few times a second, and
sometimes seem to slow down. It's almost like if there was a variable speed
control, some kid would be twisting it back and forth wildly. I've never seen
anything like it. Many programs are fine, but 1 or 2 recordings a day are
having the problem.

I'm not seeing any drive errors, and CPU stays below 50% even when both tuners
are recording. I'm just not seeing any problems other than this sudden quirky
speed problem on some recorded programs. I haven't determined yet if it's
only one card doing it or both.

In a possibly related issue, around the same day this problem appeared, an odd
tuner problem appeared. Sometimes a channel is "glitchy" with lots of
horizontal flipping back and forth that I first thought was a bad VTR at the
TV station. Reloading the ivtv driver usually cures it for a few hours. When
I see it happen, most other channels are fine. I've never seen this before
either, just started happening out of the blue.