[mythtv-users] mythfrontend speed issue.

Aaron Averett aaverett at tamu.edu
Wed Jun 30 01:50:54 EDT 2004

I'm using the nvidia driver, built/installed according to the instructions
found on nvidia's website.  It doesn't throw any errors or anything when I
install it, and the OpenGL based screensavers run just fine, so it looks
like it's working correctly to me.  I've since discovered that the system is
easily capable of decoding just the video portion, if I make the sound go
away.  (In this case, what happened was I installed ALSA, and I think I
disabled OSS)  At any rate, the CPU utilization during decoding now hovers
in the 3 to 5% range, but there isn't sound.  I can't tell if it's getting
recorded or not, since I don't have another box to run this on.

I'm beginning to think that my problem has to do with ivtv.  I'm having a
devil of a time getting it to work correctly, especially the part that
involves the firmware.  The vidcap card in question is an Avermedia m179.
I've been trying for literally hours to get this to install correctly, but
every time I try to follow the instructions on ivtv's site, it still throws
errors during boot about unresolved externals the first time I reboot it.
The driver loads, though, and the card works until I reboot it again, and it
says it can't find the firmware.

Aaron