[mythtv-users] Problem tuning PVR250 [OT]

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 06:20:36 EDT 2004

At 10:53 28/06/2004 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi Paul,
>I have a similar problem with a 350 (also in the UK). I have got all the
>info in the databse for the 5 terrestrial channels but still get static in
>myth.
>I have checked the card is working ok by switching on the tv out and
>manually tuning the card with the ptune-ui.pl PERL utility in the IVTV
>directory (I
>know this isn't much use for your 250, you may be able to use xawtv?). I
>found the first channel at 64 I think, but this will depend on your area I
>guess.
>I have not persevered with trying to get the aerial working in myth yet
>due other problems (still can't get sound), I have switched to composite video
>feed.
>  Have a look at Jarod's excellent Howto - http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/
> specifically the configutarion of IVTV in section 11 to check you have
> the inputs
>set up correctly.
>I set the video input using the line /usr/bin/test_ioctl -p 4. This should
>correspond to aerial input not composite or S-video (I guess the 250 is the
>same as the 350 in this respect)

You might want to double-check your channel information; I had this problem
at first too. You can get a complete rundown of your area here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/tv_transmitters/index.shtml

...and then check that the "freqid" field of the channels table uses the
same numbers. So for BBC1 at Crystal Palace, freqid should read 26, and so
on. Channel number should be "1", or whatever button you want it to
correspond to on your remote/keyboard. I don't think callsign is needed for
non-US channels, but FWIW mine go from 5000-5004 repectively.

The fact that you get static confirms that the PVR is working, it's just
tuned incorrectly. Attached is the current state of my howto; it might
contain some more useful info for you.