[mythtv-users] Video codec settings for epia

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Sun Jun 27 14:21:39 EDT 2004

At 19:48 27/06/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>What is the best/highest setting for video codec in mythtv that a epia still
>can handle?
>The reason I ask is that I have always recorded in 720x576 mpeg4+44Khz mp3
>and then played it on my windows computer, but that seems to be a bit too
>much for a epia-m 10k.

I fiddled with an EPIA a way back under windows (not sure which board, but
it had the MPEG2 accel and something like a 1GHz C3) and I found it choked
on 640*480 XviD/vorbis OGMs. They played back, but with very frequent
stuttering. Never had the chance to try any of 'em out with nix though - if
they're anything like my athlon boxes, playback with mPlayer/Xine uses a
good 5-10% less CPU than MPC/ffdshow.