[mythtv-users] OT: wireless 802.11g pci suggestions

mark fairlane at springcom.com
Sun Jun 27 09:15:01 EDT 2004

On Saturday 26 June 2004 09:12 pm, David Wood wrote:

> I've been down this road, and before I start, I want to warn you. I'm
> unhappy with 802.11g in general, and frankly I don't recommend using it
> unless running cable is really, really onerous or outright impossible.
> Wireless is expensive, finicky, annoying, slow, and prone to constant,
> aggravating trouble.

On consumer level garbage, yes.  That's why when I setup wireless in my home,
I used an Avaya AP-3 business level AP w/Enterasys cards.  Absolutely
flawless.  11Mb connections no matter where you go.  Rock solid stability.
Been rebooted once in 4 months I think.  $54 on ebay, had to install a jack
in the side of the AP to take a wall wart instead of the proprietary 5V
connector.

My buffalotech wireless g bridges (interconnect shop and home) seem to be
good hardware too, based on the Broadcom chipset.