[mythtv-users] Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!

Adam Felson a.f.5 at pobox.com
Sat Jun 26 09:45:41 EDT 2004

From: Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com>
        Adam Felson wrote:
        > On playback, things will often freeze and then video will jump
        with
        > audio still on the prior segment.  Rewinding past the "jump
        point" is
        > impossible -- it is like trying to backup on a DVD with a bad
        scratch.
        > Mythfrontend spews tons of "Audio buffer overflow, audio data
        lost!"
        > errors while this is going on.
        >
        > What can I do to try and troubleshoot this?

        These kinds of problems are usually due to problems during
        recording. If you are using a hardware encoder, this would
        be due to a driver bug, extremely noisy video signal or such.
        More likely it would be software encoding while the CPU was
        pegged (0% idle time). If mythfilldatabase runs, or a compile
        or any other CPU intensive task that runs for more than a few
        seconds, the contents of the file will be damaged as the CPU
        is not able to keep up with the recording tasks. There may be
        many dropped video frames, time codes that are too far off and
        keyframe entries in the position map that are missing or wrong
        (this is the most likely cause for not being able to seek past
        a certain point).

I'm using a software encoder for two dumb capture cards on a athlon xp
3000 with 768MB of ram.

On the backend, the only error I see is
"ran out of free AUDIO buffers :-("

I run the backend as a user;  should I run it as root?  Will running it
as root have it use a real time priority?

--
Adam Felson <a.f.5 at pobox.com>