[mythtv-users] Possible Addon Idea -- Program Suggestions

Jason keirstead mythtv at keirstead.org
Sat Jun 26 16:39:13 EDT 2004

On June 25, 2004 09:21 pm, Matthew Lee Lemons wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm thinking of developing an addon that will work with mythtv to provide users
> with free programming suggestions based on their viewing habits.  My program
> would monitor mythtv frontend logs in conjunction with the mysql database to get
> viewing habits.  These would periodically be sent to my server.  My server would
> then use this data to generate personalized suggestions.  Users could then
> either log onto a website to view suggestions, have them emailed to them, or
> perhaps have suggestions automatically scheduled via the mythweb interface.
>
> I would *NEVER* release any collected data to any third party, and the service
> would remain free.
>
> I'm just wondering if the mythtv community has any thoughts about such a
> project, or if such a service would be useful.

My only thought is, why does this need ot get posted to your server?

Not that I doubt your intentions, but couldn't whatever logic you plan on running to predict
shows they are interested in, be run locally against the programming database? It would
be less network traffic, and faster, and less chance for someone stealing your personal data.