[mythtv-users] MX440/Radeon wars (Was: Hardware ideas)

David Wood obsidian at panix.com
Fri Jun 25 15:21:37 EDT 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> People with black borders probably don't have overscan configured, or are
> using one of the nvidia drivers with busted overscan. In some rare cases,
> there may be TV sets that you can't overscan enough to fill the screen.

Interesting. OK.

> As for missing edges, it can be tricky getting a perfect fit on a TV.
> Televisions and television signals were designed with the assumption that
> part of the broadcast signal would end up off the screen. Part of my desktop
> extends off the edges of my analog set (not a huge amount), but Myth has
> built-in features to compensate. Not ideal if you intend to use your TV as
> your desktop display as well, but this is more the fault of the television
> than anything else.

Don't I know it. I ask because my experience so far has been that, on many
cards where TV-out was not the main attraction, it was often poorly done
to the point where it was practically impossible to adjust it at all, or
at least, well enough even for _most_ televisions. Add linux to the mix,
where tv-out support is often more dubious, and then I'm really afraid.

Doesn't have to be perfect. As long as I can get the picture centered and
not stare at black bars I'm happy.

> Depends on your exact card. There exists a utility called nvtv that can be
> used to move the picture around a little bit. I just used the nvidia driver's
> built-in settings, which does require a tiny bit of XF86Config editing (very
> easy though). I have example configs posted on my web site (see sig).

You are a gentleman and a scholar.  :)