[mythtv-users] Jitter and artifacts

Tim Tait t.tait at comcast.net
Fri Jun 25 12:16:08 EDT 2004

Joel Anderson wrote:

>>>I've been searching the archives for a while now and can't seem to
>>>nail a couple of issues down. When watching live TV every once in a
>>>while a quick jitter or wierd artifacts of a similar frame flash on
>>>the screen. Its sparatic and sometimes doesn't happen right away or
>>>even after a while .. nothing consistent. I read in a post on the
>>>forums it _may_ be from having the S-Video and Comp inputs running at
>>>the same time. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this. I would have to
>>>redo all my channel assignments if this is the case.
>>>
>>>Right now I have channels over 60 (99-500) on S-Video, and channels
>>>under (2-60) going through the tuner.
>>>
>>>Another thing I can't seem to get rid of no matter how much I tinker
>>>with bitrate etc, is the jittery audio and video at the end of a
>>>program or movie. Its like the blank frame detection goes into
>>>overdrive when there is a lot of black on the screen even if its laced
>>>with a bunch of text. I've enabled jitter control (which I'm not even
>>>sure is related to this). Is this normal or is there a way to get rid
>>>of it?
>>>
>>>I'm running the CVS version of everything.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Lonny
>>>

>>Yes, I am seeing exactly the same thing. I have a PVR 250, a Radeon 8500
>>in a AU13 mobo with an xp2100+. I recorded Terminator 3 the other night.
>>The intro/credits is very dark, and the audio cut in and out during the
>>playback but the rest of the movie was fine.  I also see sporadic
>>artifacts during live Tv watching. I am new to Myth and still
>>configuring stuff so had assumed it was my setup, but maybe not.
>>
>>Too bad some one hijacked this thread for another topic (which became a
>>flame war) because I have no doubt nobody is still reading this thread...
>>
>>Tim
>>

>I'm still reading it.  ;)
>
>I see the same flickering artifact of what looks like parts of the current
>frame in my recorded programs.  Not sure about live tv, I don't use it much
>ATM.  I see this playing back in Myth and also with WMP via MythWeb on my
>WinXP box, so It would seem to be an ivtv driver issue on the capture end.
>I'm using a PVR-250 on a PII-350 for my backend, running 0.15.1 on FC1 with
>everything updated from Axel's rpms.
>
>Joel

I am running Knoppix 3.4 5-17-english (2.4.26) on HD, with the latest
debian (15.1) myth packages, and ivtv 0.1.9 with the cardtype patch
(forgot to say I have the 250MCE version). What version of ivtv are you
running?

I don't think I see artifacts in recorded programs but I have only used
it a little and the problem is intermittent so can't be sure. The eye
tends to naturally filter that stuff out after a while. There was a
thread somewhere that mentioned strange PVR250 artifacts at lower
quality  settings (definition?). I have since bumped up mine from the
defaults but have not tested it enough to comment yet.

I only have composite and tuner hooked up, not s-video.

Tim