[mythtv-users] Jitter and artifacts

Joel Anderson myth at jobless.ca
Fri Jun 25 11:18:15 EDT 2004

> >I've been searching the archives for a while now and can't seem to
> >nail a couple of issues down. When watching live TV every once in a
> >while a quick jitter or wierd artifacts of a similar frame flash on
> >the screen. Its sparatic and sometimes doesn't happen right away or
> >even after a while .. nothing consistent. I read in a post on the
> >forums it _may_ be from having the S-Video and Comp inputs running at
> >the same time. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this. I would have to
> >redo all my channel assignments if this is the case.
> >
> >Right now I have channels over 60 (99-500) on S-Video, and channels
> >under (2-60) going through the tuner.
> >
> >Another thing I can't seem to get rid of no matter how much I tinker
> >with bitrate etc, is the jittery audio and video at the end of a
> >program or movie. Its like the blank frame detection goes into
> >overdrive when there is a lot of black on the screen even if its laced
> >with a bunch of text. I've enabled jitter control (which I'm not even
> >sure is related to this). Is this normal or is there a way to get rid
> >of it?
> >
> >I'm running the CVS version of everything.
> >
> >--
> >Lonny
> >
> Yes, I am seeing exactly the same thing. I have a PVR 250, a Radeon 8500
> in a AU13 mobo with an xp2100+. I recorded Terminator 3 the other night.
> The intro/credits is very dark, and the audio cut in and out during the
> playback but the rest of the movie was fine.  I also see sporadic
> artifacts during live Tv watching. I am new to Myth and still
> configuring stuff so had assumed it was my setup, but maybe not.
>
> Too bad some one hijacked this thread for another topic (which became a
> flame war) because I have no doubt nobody is still reading this thread...
>
> Tim

I'm still reading it.  ;)

I see the same flickering artifact of what looks like parts of the current
frame in my recorded programs.  Not sure about live tv, I don't use it much
ATM.  I see this playing back in Myth and also with WMP via MythWeb on my
WinXP box, so It would seem to be an ivtv driver issue on the capture end.
I'm using a PVR-250 on a PII-350 for my backend, running 0.15.1 on FC1 with
everything updated from Axel's rpms.

Joel