[mythtv-users] Minimum CPU for separate backend

Greg Foster greg.foster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 08:26:03 EDT 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 08:08:23 -0400 (EDT), Cory Papenfuss
<papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu> wrote:

> > I'm using a Xeon 400Mhz proc (well, 2 procs in the box, but running a
> > non-SMP kernel right now ) with a PVR-350 for a backend/frontend
>
>         2 CPUS in the box but running a non-smp kernel?  Are you INSANE?... :)
>
> Just as another datapoint though, one of my 900MHz PIII's in my SMP box is
> pegged with slightly less than desirable quality on a bttv card.  For a
> pvr-x50, a 233MHz should be completely fine for a backend.  Be careful,
> though... My old dual Celeron 300->450 BP6 did not recognize my PVR-250.  I
> think it's a newer PCI revision (subtle little suckers)... never even showed
> up.  I suspect any machine too old will have that problem.
>
> -Cory

Not insane, just found things to be a little more stable with ivtv
when running non-SMP.  That being said, I've also moved to Mattias' X
driver and things are much better.  Anyone running SMP with the
PVR-350 tv-out care to chime in on how things are running ?  Would
love to be able to flag/transcode with the second proc !

Greg.