[mythtv-users] Patching ATrpms kernels for pcHDTV support

David George david at thegeorges.us
Thu Jun 24 19:17:19 EDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> On Thursday 24 June 2004 14:13, David George wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > > I was successful in patching Red Hat's 2.6.7-1.441 kernel out of their
> > > development branch, built a kernel rpm and everything. The machine is
> > > booting off it, the modified bttv kernel module loads and recognizes the
> > > card just fine. However, the pcHDTV-provided 2.6.6 tools all like to
> > > segfault (which I've read is rather common, unfortunately). Tonight, I'll
> > > try playing with xine-hd and MythTV with the card...
> >
> > I was one of those that posted the segfaults on the pcHDTV forum.  I was
> > originally using a kernel.org 2.6.6 and couldn't get dtvsignal to work (it
> > would segfault).  Then when 2.6.7 was available I used the pcHDTV patches
> > against it and everything worked great (except that my CPU is too slow).
>
> Including dtvsignal?

Yes, including dtvsignal.  One thing I did while I was still running 2.6.6
and trying to find the problem was recompile the tools.

> > I have patched a new vanilla 2.6.7 with the latest v4l2 drivers and the
> > pcHDTV patches.
>
> The very latest stuff from Gerd? Axel has a 2.6.7 kernel patched with the very
> latest v4l2 stuff, and I couldn't get the pcHDTV patches to apply cleanly on
> top of them, due to several changes... I briefly looked at what it would take
> to manually patch them in, but it was all over my head. Too many differences,
> I didn't want to break something.

Yes, these: http://dl.bytesex.org/patches/2.6.7-1/patch-2.6.7-kraxel.gz
They didn't apply cleanly, but only two failed and one was because of the
version number in the kernel Makefile.  The other was tuner.c and that one
required a few changes.  I'll send a patch in another email.  There were
also a couple of fuzzies, but everything seems to work as well as when I
was running just the pcHDTV patches against the vanilla 2.6.7 (no kraxel
patch).  Mind you I haven't tried Myth at all yet.  I was hoping to get
the PVR-250 MCE working first.  I have had either the pcHDTV or the 250MCE
working but never at the same time.  Using ivtv ck95c now, but I am still
testing.

> > As soon as I have everything finished and the pcHDTV
> > happily co-exists with the PVR-250 MCE I will write something on what I
> > did.
>
> I'd definitely like to see that. Also, if really do have the very latest v4l2
> stuff and pcHDTV stuff playing nice together, I'd be very interested in
> looking at some patches...

I'll post in a separate email.

> > This of course is on my test system.  My main system with two
> > PVR-250 retail is working great.  Thanks to all the developers that have
> > made this possible.  And thank you Jarod for an excellent guide.  I have
> > setup MythTV manually and when your guide came along I setup a new system
> > using it on FC1.
>
> =)
>
> Crap like taking time tinkering with my pcHDTV card keeps detracting from my
> guide update time... But I want to put this $600 investment to use now!

Same here.  It is fun to tinker, but at the same time I want my cake and
eat it too.  Good thing we are in re-runs now.  I would *really* be
motivated if there was new HDTV content playing right now.  Of course I
have had my pcHDTV since Sep last year I think.  Well I ordered it
before it was shipping anyway.  It has taken me until the last month or
so before I started working on it.