[mythtv-users] Strange audio buffer problem - overflow? ( how do you adjust the buffer? )

Jason keirstead mythtv at keirstead.org
Fri Jun 25 18:16:29 EDT 2004

I have a very strange problem with my myth setup. Everything works flawless -
I have perfect sound, perfect sync. Great picture quality. But, approx. every
2 - 3 minutes, the audio drops out for about a half second, then resumes. It
never gets out of sync with the video, it just kind of dies. It almost sounds
like a buffering issue. The probelm does not exist when running mplayer tv://
or xawtv, so it's not an issue with my sound card setup.

It does this regardless of whether or not I am watching Live TV or a
previously recorded show.

If I turn on the "Warp audio" option, the problem goes away. However, I really
hate this option since every time I change a channel or pause the TV with it
on the audio goes really whacky for arounf 30-45 seconds.

My CPU does not seem to be the issue, since mythbackend and mythfrontend are
both using less than 2% CPU.

Anyone have any clue what coul be going on?

My setup:
AMD Athlon 2800 XP
256 MB RAM
Generic STB BTTV card w/software encoding
Capturing at 640x480, encoding with MPEG4 @ 2800 Kbps
NVidia Geforce4 MX w/tv out, using XMVC hardware decoding ( does not help the
problem if I disable XVMC )