[mythtv-users] Hardware ideas

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 15:52:46 EDT 2004

At 18:44 24/06/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>David Brieck Jr. wrote:
>>On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:32:42 -0400, David Wood <david.wood at thestreet.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I'm getting ready to build a MythTV box. I've been reading a lot (hardware
>>>db, google, blogs), and I wonder if anybody has an opinion about my ideas
>>>so far (or if this will help others)?

P.S.

Be *very* careful about your choice of motherboard, particularly chipsets.
Watching TV with one or more TV cards in the same box generates a *huge*
amount of DMA traffic, making Myth highly sensitive to buggy/poorly
supported chipsets.

That said, I can't really advise you very well! I'm using a KM400 (backend
with PVR-250) and an Apollo 133A or something in the frontend (Nova-T
DVB-T). Personally, I've had no problems with either chipset - some people
have. I hear lots of good things about the nForce2 (which requires closed
source drivers to get good performance)... but then I hear bad things about
it too.

As ever, YMMV.