[mythtv-users] HDTV?

John Sturgeon john at sturgeonfamily.com
Wed Jun 23 17:56:33 EDT 2004

David wrote:

> John Sturgeon wrote:
>

>> This realy is ideal.  It pushes the scaling to the TV which is
>> exactly what I want.
>>
>> Thanks John!
>>
> are you sure?
> I understood that due the cpu power, PCs were generally better at
> scaling than dedicated devices (by which I mean projectors, TVs etc, not
> proper vga convertors and the like).

Not at all... the scalers built into the modern HDTV sets are hardware
based and blazingly efficient (is that a term?  Well.. it is now I
guess).  Check out:
http://www.hitachi.us/tv/discover/techadv/tech_ad_proj07.shtml

Besides.  No software I know of will scale a 4:3 picture quite like my
Hitachi's 4:3 Expanded mode.  Sooooooo cool.  The advantage for me is
that if I push some of the zooming/scaling/aspect ratio/virtual HD
control to my TV it provides me the most flexibility.

> The ideal (I thought) is to get your PC to output 'device native
> resolution'
>
> David

Just what is 'device native resolution' when you're sending a 720x480
4:3 picture to a 16:9 HDTV monitor (for example)?  The monitor changes
its behavior based on the input.  The idea that John Patrick is working
on fits perfectly in this model because the source signal will finally
change it's *output* to match.  The world I live in now has a 4:3
picture with black borders being sent to my HDTV monitor as a 16:9
resolution source.  My HDTV monitor doesn't give me all of the aspect
ratio and scaling options that would normally be available for 4:3
source material.

--
John <><