[mythtv-users] Best card for svideo out

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Wed Jun 23 12:50:47 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 20:14, Greg Miller wrote:
> Hi, I am about to build a Mythtv unit and would like to use a C3-700 box
> I have lying around. What would be the best choice for a video card? Can
> I use a DXR3 card with Myth? If not it seems that there are many cards
> with video out. Does one offer better support for hardware accelleration
> for mpeg2 playback under linux?

I currently have a pvr-350 and a dxr3 in my PC.
I compared the TV-output quality of both, using the pvr-350 encoder's stream
as input.
I concluded that the pvr-350 is a little better, but not much.

For playback of video (not live TV) I still use the dxr3 (with xine) as I
can't output non-mpeg material on the pvr-350 framebuffer, which is currently
a bit too slow to handle this. I think this will change in near future and
when it does I will probably switch 100% to the pvr-350 use.

I must however say that if you compare prices for a dxr3 (easy to get second
hand) to a new pvr-350 the dxr3 would win as it's tv-out is certainly of high
quality.

Mythtv can't use the dxr3 output I think (calling xine from mythtv would give
you this when watching video. For live TV we would have to create some new
code).
Also xine has the basic ability to play live TV (xine pvr:/ ) but it's very
basic and can't be compared to mythtv's functionality. It can output live TV
from a pvr-350 on the output of a dxr3 (which I used to compare the cards).

regards,
Marcel