[mythtv-users] HDTV?

John Sturgeon john at sturgeonfamily.com
Tue Jun 22 20:56:25 EDT 2004

Cory Papenfuss wrote:

>> Just to clarify, Myth does "work" on an HDTV set in that it looks
>> great and scales everything up to the proper resolution.
>

>     I'm kinda an HDTV noob, but know a fair bit about video signals.
> I learned something interesting from the local TV/stereo shop when I
> was browsing in there letting them try to blow smoke up my *ss.  I
> wasn't aware that HDTV's usually do a "nonlinear" zoom when displaying
> SDTV so that there aren't black bars on the side or horribly squished
> 4:3 playback.  Does XV allow for such a stretching?  I know Mythtv has
> 4:3, 4:3 zoom, 16:9, and 16:9 zoom, but they're all linear.
>
>     Just thought I'd throw that out there.  Since I don't even have an
> HDTV it doesn't matter much to me... just making people who might care
> aware... :)
>
> -Cory

Hey Cory,

Many sets provide a nonlinear stretch mode for 4:3.  Just so people
don't get confused, we're not talking about stretching a 4:3 to 16:9
(which is, of course, supported by XV) it's a warped stretch where the
middle 60-70% of the screen is zoomed by a fraction, and the remaining
15-20% on each side is stretched the rest of the way.  It's a great
compromise when viewing 4:3 on a 16:9 monitor.

Depending on your modeline, you can trick your HDTV set into doing it
for you.  If you can change your output resolution to 4:3 480p then your
TV should recognize this and let you stretch it.  Right now, my output
resolution is 16:9 540p so my TV (Toshiba 51S500) only gives me 16:9 and
16:9 zoom.  I'm willing to live with it.  I don't know of a way to
toggle output resolutions on the fly.  If I could, then switching to a
4:3 resolution on demand would be great.

--
John Sturgeon <><