[mythtv-users] Re: Jerod's guide updates?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jun 22 17:37:17 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 12:33:34PM +0200, Franco wrote:
> > Yes, I did build a kernel with 8kstacks and the kernel modules for it :(
>
> Hey! Is this the official announcement?
> Great new for me... :-) This measn my mythbox will live again... :-)

I guess it is as official as it can currently be ;)

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 07:22:51PM +0000, ou812 at comcast.net wrote:
> >You probably won't have to change the doc other than mentioning that
> >for nvidia and ivtv currently 8kstack kernels are neccessary, and
> >until this has been resolved by the respective developers such kernel
> >and kernel modules are offered at ATrpms.
>
> You may also want to mention the fc2 uses Xorg.conf instead of
> Xf86config and modprobe.conf instead of modules.conf.
> Modprobe.conf uses different syntax as well.

Yes, indeed, good catch. Also the latest ivtv rpms (in bleeding) have
a very simplified configuration.

> >Yes, I did build a kernel with 8kstacks and the kernel modules for it
>
> Do have an RPM for this kernel? If so where is it?

http://atrpms.net/name/kernel-testing/, available if you turn on the
"testing" section of ATrpms. Note the "-testing" :)

> So if I recompile my kernel with 8kstacks and install the Nvidia
> Drivers (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run)  I should be able to use your FC2 RPMS?

Yes, or you can use the rpms build for kernel 2.6.7-1.437_2.rhfc2.at

> I am confused which IVTV rpms I would use.
> You have this rpm - kernel-module-ivtv-2.6.7-1.437_1.rhfc2.at-0.1.10-36_pre2_ck94r.rhfc2.at.i686.rpm
> Which makes me think I should be able to use it with the 2.6.7-1.437 fc2 kernel. But that does not have
> 8kstacks.

No, the kernel version goes on including the "_<subrelease>.rhfc2.at"
suffix. While means it's the <subrelease> release of the ATrpms'
kernel based on RH's 2.6.7-1.437. There are currently only two
changes: v4l2 patches and the 8kstacks.

> So my assumption is recompile kernel with 8kstacks install
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run and use the rpms on atrpms.net
>
> Or do I need to compile IVTV myself as well or am I just way of base
> here.

No need for you to rebuild anything, just use the
2.6.7-1.437_2.rhfc2.at versions. But if you do build a kernel yourself
for whatever reason, you will have to also build the needed kernel
modules (which include nvidia-graphics and ivtv).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net