[mythtv-users] Re: Homebrew PVR Multi-Circuit

Joe Byrne mythjoe at joebyrne.org
Tue Jun 22 09:57:32 EDT 2004

I definitely recommend moving to USB in due course because (1) there are
internal headers for it (which, unfortunately never seem to be keyed to
assure proper orientation of the cable) and (2) it provides power.

That said, a parallel port can drive and HD44780-compatible display with an
easy-to-make cable and various software such as LCDproc.  These displays are
reasonably abundant.

An interesting compromise that I was looking into was to use the Agere
USB->parallel interface chip.  I Googled around a while back to find that it
was supported under Linux, unlike the pl equivalents.  Ideally this would
yield the parallel software environment and the USB hardware.  I even bought
the Belkin USB->parallel cable because it contains the Agere chip (not
listed on Agere's website the last I checked).

I also recommend using a VFD instead of an LCD, but there are some good LCDs
these days.  I created a drive-bay mounting kit for a HD44780-compat VFD
that I can drive off the parallel port that I loop back through the case.  I
was thinking of ebaying a few of these off.  Anything over $50 I would
donate to the MythTV principals to support development.

I'll post pix as soon as I get my photo gallery working.