[mythtv-users] Torrentocracy

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Jun 22 09:22:15 EDT 2004

Kyle Kelly wrote:

> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> Your problem is that you don't necessarily have the right to then
>> share that recording you made with your friend despite the fact that
>> he recoreded it for you.   While he could show the recording to you
>> in his home, if he were to give you a copy to take to your house, I
>> believe (and I could be wrong here), that he would be in violation of
>> his rights as it pertains to his recorded copy of that show.  He has
>> the right to time-shift it, or even show it to a limited audience of
>> friends (assuming he doesn't charge), but sharing the recording is
>> not allowed.  This is where ReplayTV has gotten into hot water.  This
>> is an old link, but it talks about the problems ReplayTV has gotten
>> into about sharing recordings
>> (http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/2001-all/isenberg-2001-11-all.html)
>> but I think this is still working its way through the courts.
>>
>> Kevin
>

> Kevin you should re-read David's post, he is not suggesting the
> sharing of record tv shows, just sharing suggestions of what to
> record.  Kind of similar to Tivo's recommendations feature, or irate
> (irate.sf.net).  I love the idea, especially if it could determine
> what kind of shows I like to watch and then record shows that it
> thinks I might like, obviously at a lower priority to my manually
> scheduled recordings.

Actually, from what I got he was suggesting that his friend's MythTV box
be able to record shows that his was not.  I can only assume that some
scenario would arise where he would want to watch that show that was
recorded on his friends system and that ventures into territory I was
referring to.  Certainly sharing the queue information isn't an issue
but the resulting sharing of the recording.  For the most part this
isn't a MythTV issue since no one is suggesting that MythTV share the
actual recordings but sometimes lawyers don't care about that distinction.

Kevin