[mythtv-users] Re: Homebrew PVR Multi-Circuit

Steven White stevew at s2microsolutions.com
Tue Jun 22 05:41:28 EDT 2004

 >You could always throw in a pl2303 chip. From what I understand its a
 >really straight forward serial to usb converter. In fact, its what the
 >LCD unit I use has. The LCD I have is the CwLinux graphical usb LCD.
 >Works great. In fact, it has every feature people want, except the
 >ability to receive/send ir signals.

I'd rather have USB integrated into the microcontroller for two
reasones: board size and cost.  My goal is to make this thing very
affordable and small enough to mount anywhere.  A single chip solution
would be the Microchip's PIC18F2455.  It has a full speed USB interface
that only requires an external resistor to complete.  Unfortunately, it
isn't available yet.  I think it will be released in July or so.  I
could attach a pl2303 to the RS232 design as a temporary USB solution if
Microchip delays the release of the 18F2455.

 >Why not send LCD Proc key presses? You would need to be compatible with
 >LCD Proc to have myth send stuff directly to the LCD. My LCD (the one
 >mentioned above) has a 6 button interface on it, I have the buttons
 >setup to send stuff that myth can use.
 >Please, don't take this as criticism, or as disparagement of your ideas;
 >just offering help with the area's that I know.

I'm not very familiar with LCD Proc yet.  I've checked out the site for
it, but haven't researched it in depth.  If it's the simplest way to get
MythTV (or other PVR suites) to talk to a LCD, then it's probably the
way I'll have to use.  I like to hear alternative solutions and
approaches to this design.  I'm still in the brainstorming phase of
development right now.  In a day or so, I'll print this entire
discussion and make some decisions, but until then, keep the ideas flowing!

Steve