[mythtv-users] Re: Homebrew PVR Multi-Circuit

Steven White stevew at s2microsolutions.com
Mon Jun 21 23:58:21 EDT 2004

I've been wanting to get my hands dirty in USB, but I think I'll make a
RS232 version first since it will be faster to develop.  I like the idea
of having the microcontroller watch for "trigger" IR signals for
toggling the LED states and writing to the LCD.  The microcontroller
could monitor the IR transmit data from the PC and intercept certain
signals so that they aren't transmitted, then perform the action.  I
took a quick glance at the UIRT2 protocol and it looks like this would
be possible.  I haven't chosen UIRT2 as the way to go yet, it was just a
suggestion from early on in this discussion and I need to start
somewhere.  I should be able to simulate IR receiver data for each
button press on the front panel so that they can be mapped to actions
such as play, fast forward, rewind, pause, and stop in the LIRC config
files.  This wouldn't require a custom LIRC driver either.  Thanks,
everyone, for helping me plan this project out.  I'm still very open to
ideas at this early stage of development, so keep the suggestions and
comments coming!

Steve