[mythtv-users] MythTV on a 4:3 HDTV

Mon Jun 21 11:34:51 EDT 2004

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, homebreweverything wrote:

> I have a 4:3 WEGA HDTV-capable set.  Is it possible to use a video card with DVI out, or a VGA->DVI converter or a VGA->component converter to display 4:3 content?  The modes I've seen discussed for HDTV converters are all 16:9, but I have a lot of 4:3 content that would then get letterboxed to 16:9 on the TV, which would be letterboxed to fit 4:3, so there'd be a letterbox all around the image I beleieve.

I spent several hours yesterday working on a solution to this exact
problem.  I have figured most of it out, and have a crude hard-coded
solution mostly working.

I need to figure out a user interface for it and make it work when the
show-guide is selected/de-selected.

I will let you know when I get it done.

John

P.S. I am using a VGA->Component adaptor.