[mythtv-users] DVB / deinterlacing setup

Flemming Frandsen ff at partyticket.net
Mon Jun 21 10:07:27 EDT 2004

Hi, I'm about to invest in a large DVB setup and I'd like to describe it
and hear if my plans are realistic at all.

I have a rather long way from my antenna/dish to my hometheater / other
viewing locations so I want to put all tuners in a pc placed near the
antenna.

I want 3 DVB-s tuners (budget cards) that each output a TS and a PVR 250
card in that box.

Q1) Does mythtv support simply storing the demuxed mpeg stream from the
TS and PVR on disk?

Q2) ... so I'm right in assuming that the tunerbox (aka mythtv backend)
doesn't need that much CPU when all it does is shovel data from the tuner
to the network card?

I have several places I want to watch TV and I don't want disks making
noise in any of those locations, so I want a separate server and boot
all other boxes (including the tuner box) of that one via the network.

One front end is going to run on an x-box, I assume that's working.

For the other front ends I want to build some small EPIA-M boxes that
contain a DVD drive and an mpeg hardware decoder.
* One of them is going to use the tv-out port and analog onboard sound.
* The other will output VGA to my CRT projector, preferably scaled up
(1024x768) at a higher refreshrate (100/120Hz) and deinterlaced.

Q3) How well supported is deinterlacing?

Q4) Will digital sound from DVB pass through the system unmolested?

Q5) Is it possible for two backends to share one DVB card?
(multible channels can be multiplexed into one TS)

Q6) Is it possible for two backends to share one PVR250 card? (I will
receive 1 (one) analog channel, so there is no reason to ever change
that channel, but I have at least 3 different frontends, where more than
one might want to watch the analog channel at once)

Q7) Is it possible to place a DVD drive on another machine than the
front end?

--
  Regards Flemming Frandsen - http://dion.swamp.dk
  PartyTicket.Net co founder & Yet Another Perl Hacker