[mythtv-users] Feature request and offer of assistance

brian weatherill bweatherill at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 21 00:46:58 EDT 2004

Well as a new member of the "almost working the way I want it" club, I'd like to make a feature request of the developers, ask a question of the users and offer assistance where I can..

First off:

PC:	ABIT-TH7II-RAID Mobo
	512MB RDRAM
	2.0 P4 processor
	2x250MB WD drives
	Plextor DVD-PX708A
	Hauppauge PVR350
	2xHauppauge PVR250 (Backordered)
	ASUS (NVIDIA) FX5200
	Silverstone LC01 case with IR window
	SB Audigy sound card
	Versapoint RF (100ft) USB keyboard
	Philips ProntoPro remote control (TSU6000)
	CompUSA USB memorycard reader
	Sony MemoryVault USB memory stick

Kernel:	Fedora 2 with 2.6.7 from kernel.org
	Compiled with 8k stacks, REGPARM off and MULTILUN on

Software	Using pretty much defaults as per the FAQ
	using Xine with the DVD patch, has Menu support with DVDs
	LIRC supporting irexec, xine, mplayer and myth

Problems/Limits:
	haven't got the burner burning yet..
	if there's no DVD in the drive when you hit play (using Xine), you need a keyboard to recover
	using irexec with
		config = xset -display :0 dpms force standby
		config = xset -display :0 -dpms s off
	works, but puts the system scrambles the screen when woken from LIRC (wakes fine from kbd)
	The ATRPM stuff for nvidia & ivtv is so unbelieveably broken i wouldnt even try

Enhancement request:
	1. Looks like it'd be easy (I could be wrong, I'm no coder) to do the following
		When I record a live show, do:
			close the capture file momentarily but buffer video
			Delete all video content in buffer prior to start of current program
			Move the NUV file to the Myth Video directory from the Live directory
			carry on recording..
		That gives you the exact same function as Tivo (and I believe Tivo does it something
		like this way
	2. Check for the existence of VCD or DVD filesystem BEFORE starting the player
		I'm having nightmares trying to stop XINE reporting errors if its launched with no DVD
		in the drive.. The GUI is hidden and popup errors require keyboard input to continue

Will try to work on:
	Getting xmame to respond to LIRC requests to quit.. I may do this by using irexec to simply grep
	and kill the process for xmame (dangerous.. but I'm no coder!)
	Respond to questions about Fedora Core 2 and Myth
	Playing with my cool new toy

Hope the above is received in the spirit in which its written

Brian Weatherill