[mythtv-users] Hardware sanity check

Larry Moore larzm at nc.rr.com
Sun Jun 20 22:35:33 EDT 2004

Hello all,

   I am getting ready to purchase parts for my first MythTV box. I want
a combined frontend/backend that will (eventually) have 2 tuner cards. This
box will sit in my living room next to tht TV. I would also like to be able to
play DVDs with this box. Here is my shopping list:

Asus Pundit barebone system
2.4 GHz Celeron Processor
512 MB RAM
CD/DVD ROM
200 or 250 GB HD
PVR-250

I have some questions about some of the components.

Is the Celeron going to have enough horsepower to record 2 shows at once or
watch a recorded show and record another at the same time? But, if I move
up to a Pentium 4 will I have to worry about heat?

Is the 512 MB RAM a good amount? Would 256 MB be enough?

Also I am trying to decide between a 200GB Seagate 7200.7 here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-032&depa=0
and a 250GB Western Digital here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-155&depa=0
My main questions about these two are how quiet they are and how hot they are.
Are
these going to be acceptable to put in my living room (noise wise)?

My plan is to get the box working with one PVR-250 card and see if the Pundit's
TV-out
is accepatable to me. If it is, then I will probably get a second PVR-250. If
not, I will
go for the PVR-350 for the (supposed) better TV-out.

Also, any recommendations for a quiet DVD/CD ROM drive?

Another, unrelated, question I had was about power loss. Assuming I don't have
the box on
a UPS and the power goes out, is there any way to set it to come back on
automatically when
the power comes back on? Is there such a feature?

Thanks for all your help!
Larry Moore