[mythtv-users] Custom Modeline

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sun Jun 20 11:15:09 EDT 2004

 	Don't take it so personally.  I looked at the webpage, and it looks
great.  It will probably help out a lot of people.  I was attempting to
describe how modelines work so that people aren't so intimidated by them.  I
also took a look at videogen, and seeing something like:

USAGE: videogen [-h] [-v|-q] [-fb|-nfb] [-nv|-nnv] [-f=<file|->] [-m=<mode>]

 	This is not directly intuitive to me.  I guess my main point is that
describing a video signal standard is inherently complicated.  Most times, an
automated tool that generates generates a line for you will do perfectly fine
(think 'XF86Config').  Once in awhile, some minor change might be necessary
(think 'videogen' or 'xvidtune').  My point is that if one requires all the
strict control of all of the options available with a tool like videogen, then
you basically already know everything necessary to compute the modeline
yourself.  If I'm going to take the time to learn something, I would rather
learn the basics that are reusable later, rather than learn the finer details
of a one-time-use tool.

 	As another example, if one wanted to construct an underscanning mode,
how would one use the 'videogen' tool without already knowing *exactly* what
mode he wanted anyway?  How about shifting the picture up/down/left/right?
Hrm... maybe I aught to write my own utility or add to videogen.... :)

Cheers,
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*