[mythtv-users] RE:Unable to open database

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Sat Jun 19 00:11:17 EDT 2004

> Message: 20
> Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:34:44 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Colman Hatton <aquafin1 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Unable to open database
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>
> first time myther here
> I thought i had everything set up and compiled right,
> but when i try and start mythtv, mythfrontend, setup
> etc, i get this error:
>
> QSqlDatabase: warning: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded
> QSqlDatabase: available drivers:
> QSqlDatabase: warning: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded
> QSqlDatabase: available drivers:
> Unable to open database:
> No error type from QSqlError? Strange...
> couldn't open db
>
> anyone have a fix?
> thanks

Ummm.. Start the backend first. It is what actually talks to the
database. Think of it like frontend<>backend<>mysql (with multiple
possible frontends and backends, but only ONE database)

You want it running as a service, if running mandrake run drakconf,
>system>services and make sure both mysql and mythbackend are set to
start on boot, and running.

I'm sure other distros have similar tools, and I used to remember how to
do it manually, but I'm getting old/lazy.

For initial debugging, run both from a shell, separately preferably.