[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA as combined Frontend/Backend?

Kevin Barsby Kevin.Barsby at Sun.COM
Tue Jun 15 21:42:14 EDT 2004

> Is anyone using such a setup?

Hi,

Here's my system:

Hush PC with
MB - EPIA 10KN (C3 Nehemiah core)
Disk - 160GB Seagate Barracuda
RAM - 512MB RAM
DVD - SLimline DVD writer
TV -  Hauppauge PVR 350
Dist - Gentoo (installed via www.epiawiki.org)
Kernel - 2.4.25-epia2
Gfx - Via binary driver (installed by hand from www.epiawiki.org)
Tv-out - MB S-video
Mpeg2 - Via binary driver (installed by hand from www.epiawiki.org)
Sound - Alsa-1.0.4 Using SPDIF to 5.1 speaker system (Coax connection)
Myth - 0.15.1 (Superb application)
DVD player - Viaexp 2.1 compiled with a couple of hacks

My *only* issues are:
- AC3 -> SPDIF passthrough for DVD (Can't get it to work under viaexp,
no help from news groups as most people are using a 2.6 kernel, and
viaexp won't compile with that)
- Music Audio quality, I'm being quite fussy here, the sound quality is
good, but I'm sure there is a slight difference between playing a CD in
this system and on a normal CD player, I will test this further at some
point to isolate the area that needs improvement.
- No wake on infrared. I purchased a UIRT2 circuit, built it, and it
won't program, probably down to my novice electronics skills, buy an
annoyance nonetheless.

I'm not using mythgame yet, but the Goom plugin runs well scaled at 1/2
size.

HTH
Kev