[mythtv-users] PVR-350 tv out scart question

Steven Cruysberghs steven.cruysberghs at pi.be
Mon Jun 14 11:10:39 EDT 2004

>>>I imagine this is exactly the sort of thing it's intended for - have you
>>>tried it? Since the fb is designed only to take care of what's going on
>>> on
>>>the PVR-350, you're prolly meant to chuck it into the line-out on your
>>>soundcard.
>>>

>>Yes, I tried it, but I don't get any audio on the TV. What I did was
>>plug some cheap speakers into the line out of my sound card, then
>>player a video using mplayer on the ivtv framebuffer display. I get
>>video but no audio on the TV (as expected) and the audio on the
>>speakers. I then swapped the speaker plug for the trailing 3.5mm plug
>>on the pvr-350 scart lead, but still nothing comes through the TV.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>

> I spent *ages* trying to figure this out.
>
> I'm pretty sure it's not connected to anything. Could be a manufacturing
> fault on some - I don't know.
>
> It would have been *very* useful as a line-out (as you say, plug it into
> the soundcard line-in and voila) instead I had to buy a scart
> pass-through with an audio extractor (and don't get a cheap one if you
> want it to pass s-video)
>
> David
> PS Have you got a multimeter? If so just do a continuity test to the
> scart and the proprietary plugs to prove it to yourself.
>
> PPS if anyone finds out then maybe add it to:
> http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/HardWare/VideoCaptureCards/PvR350/HintsAndTips

For what it't worth.

On our old crappy TV if I use the scart cable and connect the audio pin to
the line-in of my soundcard I hear the sound of the the TV channel that
was on before I switched to video input on the TV. (switch back to TV,
change channel, switch back to scart input and you hear the sound of the
new channel, but this could be our TV only :-)
It sounds strange but I guess the cable is somehow connected to the scart
audio out of the TV. I don't really see any use for it.

Steven