[mythtv-users] recording two versions of one program

Don glasswall at excite.com
Sat Jun 12 03:57:30 EDT 2004

I have two mythbackends, one of which has 3 PVR-250s and the other of which has a PCHDTV card.  The behavior I'd like is that a program
which is broadcast in both standard and high definition versions on
different channels should be recorded in both versions.  This used
to work before I switched to using DataDirect, I think because the HD versions of programs generally had "(HDTV)" appended to their program
descriptions, so the two versions weren't regarded as duplicates
of each other by MythTV.  DataDirect does not seem to maintain
this distinction.

One solution to this would be to make both backends masters, but then
I'd have to forgo unified access to recorded programs on one frontend,
which I'd like to avoid.  Another approach I tried was modifying
program descriptions in the mythconverg database as described above
(via a script run after mythfilldatabase), but I haven't figured
out how to then get the scheduler to reconsider its decisions about
which programs are duplicates.  I know the scheduler is triggered
by certain events (e.g. changes in the database made by
mythfilldatabase, starting or stopping a backend, manual changes
to recording preferences), but none of these seem to induce the
desired effect on recording decisions after the database is manually
altered.

I would appreciate any suggestions.