[mythtv-users] Recording LED almost working.

David Tarkowski david.tarkowski at verizon.net
Fri Jun 11 21:52:24 EDT 2004

Tim Tait wrote:

> David Tarkowski wrote:
>
>> Garry wrote:
>>
>>> Something seems to be spewing stuff to the parallel port.
>>>
>> I noticed the same thing when I created my parallel port LED device.
>> It seems that on some motherboards the interrupt status is reflected
>> on various parallel port lines.  The only solution that I found was
>> to buy an add-in parallel port PCI card and disable the port on the
>> motherboard.
>>
>> -Dave
>

> Really? Cool! Then I guess you need a latch as well as an LED, so only
> the data you write is captured. Would it not be easier to use a serial
> port line?
>
> Tim

Well, my blinking lights were unrelated to myth and I wanted eight of
them, so the parallel port was the natural answer.  I noticed that as
long as I was actively toggling the STROBE line on the parallel port
then all of the DATA lines reflected the value that I was trying to set
them to, but only for a very small time.  There were several solutions,
but at the time, putting in a cheap parallel add-on card was the easiest
answer.

-Dave