[mythtv-users] [Fwd: Re: Advantages of 2.6 kernel -- SATA]

David myth at dgreaves.com
Fri Jun 11 06:14:18 EDT 2004

Gerald Schepens wrote:

> Re: Advantages of 2.6 kernel -- SATA
> From:
> Gerald Schepens <schepens at shaw.ca>
> Date:
> Thu, 10 Jun 2004 03:35:54 -0600
> To:
> David Greaves <myth at dgreaves.com>
>
> To:
> David Greaves <myth at dgreaves.com>
>

> David:
> It sounds like you got farther than I did with your use of sata and a
> 2.6 kernel.

I'm happily running 2.6.4 on KnoppMyth (FWIW 2.6.6 doesn't work for me)
have been for months :)
As of last weekend it's been sata only.
I needed to grub --recheck but that was the main issue.

>   What's your distro, and what sata controller / motherboard do you have?

Onboard via - a KT600 (see my mythtv.info page for more details)

>   Going to 2.6 was an issue I wanted to pursue but I've put it on the
> back burner because I had too many problems that I think are related
> to my sata controller, a promise fastrack 378  (I think it's 378)
> onboard an Asus P4PE motherboard.

Well I found it pretty straightforward. OTOH I've done that kind of
thing a lot. (and I cheated by installing to pata and then migrating to
sata)

> When I booted with the 2.6 kernel I compiled, I never could get root
> mounted and I'd end up with a kernel panic.

Hmm, the nice think about KnoppMyth is you have an nice live OS booted
from CD :)
You can even compile a new kernel (memory dependent!)
I wonder if your problem was not passing root=/dev/hde1 or
root=/dev/sda1 to the kernel? (depending on ide/libata)

>   Eventually I got tired of messing with it and I'm still using
> 2.4.20.  And still putting up with the odd machine freeze-up when I'm
> both watching and recording on my PVR350... which I'd hoped going to
> 2.6 would avoid.

I've said (a few times) that I think 2.6 is better than 2.4 for ivtv.
(just based on problems reported with 2.4 that I've never seen so YMMV)

> Pointers?

http://www.mythtv.info/  :)

Dex recently said he was going to start some writeups of moving to 2.6
but he's not started yet.
See here though:
http://www.pogmech.net/~ral/mythtv/mythtv-fc2-build.txt

and I'll help with any questions.

David

PS and before anyone asks - no you don't need sata - and you don't get
much benefit from it :)