[mythtv-users] new video card, or vga-->tv adapter

Matt Morgan matt at jiffycomp.com
Thu Jun 10 21:28:21 EDT 2004

I know this question has been asked before, but a search of the archives did
not give me a conclusive answer.

I have my new soon-to-be mythtv box. I have a Hauppauge PVR250 with remote.
I ordered a serial IR Blaster and it's on its way. This computer, however,
does not have an AGP slot and the only video card I have with TV-Out is an
AGP card.

So I either need an adapter to connect the existing built-in video (NVIDIA
RIVA TNT2 16Mb ram) to the TV, or I need a new PCI video card with TV-out. I
have two PCI slots available, so that's not a big issue. Cost is an issue--I
don't want to spend more than about $30, which is what I can get an ATI 32MB
PCI card for on eBay. Which would work best? If it's the adapter, can
someone recommend a brand?

The TV that I will be connecting to will be either a Sony WEGA 24", non-HD,
with component inputs but no s-video, or a bigger Sony, non-HD, but with
both s-video and component.

Thanks,
Matt