[mythtv-users] Old topic rehashed - X-less backend?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Jun 10 16:42:53 EDT 2004

> I have seen where it doesn't resolve the name properly, and uses the IP
> address instead.  I never looked into why, but just added another grant to
> user at ipaddy so that it worked either way.

mysql has a HORRIBLE time resolving names...  use the IP when setting up
permissions unless you want to expect trouble.  I've had times when
connecting to mysql and the server would see the connection sometimes
coming from "localhost" and other times from "localhost.localdomain"
which according to it are two separate sources (which are also separate
from 127.0.0.1).  Basically, it will do a forward look up of an IP if
the server is given a name, but it won't look up a name if it's handed
an IP or a different name.

-Chris