[mythtv-users] Question regarding video input

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Jun 10 16:04:53 EDT 2004

At 15:44 10/06/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>I'd like to be able to run my Playstation 2 through my Myth box.  I have 2
>PVR-250s in it right now.
>
>What concerns me is the lag that I'll have that will make gaming
>impossible.  Is there a way to turn off buffering for my S-video input on
>one of my cards?  Can I easily set Myth up to not use that card for
>recording when it's set to S-video in?

In a word, no.

Everything that goes into a PVR-x50 goes through the MPEG2 encoder and then
the hard drive. AFAIK there's no way to circumvent it. If you want to play
video games though Myth, you'll need a bog standard TV card or do what I do
and fork out for an adapter that lets you connect
RCA/SCART/composite/whatever up to your monitor (I'm assuming you're using
a monitor? If you're using a TV, it'd be far better to just plug it
straight in or use a switcher box).