[mythtv-users] PVR-x50 lockups and live TV?

Tom Walsh tom at openhardware.net
Thu Jun 10 13:19:46 EDT 2004

Jim Jarrett wrote:

>I am running a fairly current CVS drop of Myth, and IVTV 0.1.9, with two
>PVR-250's, under Mandrake 9.1.
>
>I still get the lock up if I watch live TV without pausing for 30 seconds.
>
>Is there anything I should upgrade that has fixed that?  From what I
>gathered on the IVTV site, drivers beyond 0.1.9 are "Experimental" and
>aren't guaranteed to even work:
>

>>I've decided to stop work on 0.1.x and focus my efforts on 0.2.x. I don't mind
>>if others want to submit patches or work on the old code, but i won't be
>>answering questions or programming for it.
>>
>>ATTENTION: the "Latest CVS tarball" link will be 0.2.x code from now on. This
>>code is extremely unstable, and it WILL crash your system. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO
>>USE IT for anything other than development or testing. It currently does not
>>even capture video, and it won't do so for a while. If you want to use ivtv,
>>grab release 0.1.9 from the project page.
>>

>Has 0.1.10 with Myth progressed to a usable point?

Hello Jim,

I am running Mandrake 9.2 with the stock ivtv-0.1.9 without problems.
This is an Athlon 2800XP system, 400Gig of drives and 1Gig of DDR.  I
did experience some problems with the system occasionally locking up,
but those problems were cleared up by trashing the !#$!@$ ASUS
A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard in favor of a Tyan S2495 board.  Also, turn off
the lapic and apic settings of the kernel (in /etc/lilo.conf 'append="
initrd=initrd.img hdd=ide-scsi devfs=mount noapic nolapic pci=noacpi
acpi=off"').

There are two model 32552 PVR250MCE and a single PVR350 retail version
in this machine (primarily for the IR).  I do not use the PVR350 TVOUT,
but am using a GeForce MX 440 8XAGP card as the TVOUT.   I have found
that using the TVOUT of the PVR350 can cause lockups when doing multiple
presses of FFWD & REVR while viewing a recorded show.  The TVOUT of the
GeForce card does not introduce this problem.

Overall, the system is rock solid.

Regards,

TomW