[mythtv-users] Diskless frontends?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 10 12:23:19 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 18:15, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 June 2004 06:57, Tim Litwiller wrote:
> > We are using this is a private school with 16 terminals and they
> > all have local (at the terminal sound).
> >
> > It just doesn't work in Kde.  But it works fine in gnome and icewm.
>
> Oh really? Cool! Good to know... I'm a KDE guy, but I may have to try
> that out... Any idea of whether it works with xfce4? And do you know
> if that works only in an all-Linux environment, or does it also work
> to a remote X session w/Cygwin or Apple's X11?

I'm still skeptical as to whether this would work for Myth... presumably
it works for GNOME apps because GNOME built it into their sound daemon
architecture (esound?).   Any app that doesn't use the GNOME sound
daemon, but instead accesses /dev/dsp directly (like Myth), would
probably still have no sound on the remote terminal.  I'd guess KDE/
artsd suffers from this problem.

But I'd love to be proven wrong!

-JAC