[mythtv-users] MythMusic/visualisations 100% CPU

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 14:44:27 EDT 2004

I'm sure this has been remarked on before (like here
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/41078?search_string=mythmusic%20visualisations%20cpu;#41078)
but I haven't yet been able to find an answer...

Basically, everything I do in Myth uses almost no CPU (typically 1-2% load
when watching/playing back TV) except for the visualisations in MythMusic.
Top reports X and Mythfrontend using about 45% CPU when the viz are in
"tiny" mode, and completely thrash the system when I pop them up to
fullscreen. This is on a Athlon 2400 displaying at 1280 by 1024.

I'm using a boring GeForceFX MX 4something-or-other, and have tried
compiling myth with and without support for the nvidia overlay stuff, which
doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference CPU-wise (and of course
losing my colours in the OSD). I'm using the latest stable version of the
gentoo nvidia ebuild, namely 1.0.4496-r3. I switch to the xfree GLX to
compile myth, and then back to nvidia GLX once it's done, as per ebuild
instructions.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get the GFX card to help with the viz?

Much obliged for any input, even if it's an RTFM or STFW ;^)