[mythtv-users] Live TV on PVR350 + Screen size

Torsten Schenkel mythtv at isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Jun 9 13:21:20 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 13:40, Aleksander Solheim wrote:
> Hi All!
>

> I've, with no luck, tried to get my PVR350 to display live tv.
>
> I have an old box (amd-500) with a new PVR350 setup after Jarod's howto
> (thanks!). TV-out with X is working, tuner is tuned and capable of
> capturing live tv + recording.
>
> Now to the problem; When I enable the PVR350-decoder (in mythtv setup)
> and then try to watch tv, then the picture ends up garbled. Audio is no
> problem (can hear the correct channel), I can also switch channels, but
> to no use as the whole thing is scrambled. Exiting 'live tv' takes me
> back to the mythtv-menu, but this too now is garbled and I have to
> reboot to get a viewable picture again. This leaves me to believe that
> the PVR350 alters some settings?

You have to set PAL twice. Once for the OSD (framebuffer) and once for
the decoder output. Your setup seems to set it right for the framebuffer
(Myth GUI is OK) but not for the decoder. So when you switch to the
decoder it switches the TV encoder to NTSC which garbles your decoder
and framebuffer output, because the fb is going through the tv encoder
chip as well.

> Does anyone know which settings? Or what I can do to remedy this?

Have a look at my sig there are the module settings for PAL.

> So to the next thing, the picture size. From what I understand the
> picture output by mythtv-tvout should be larger than the visible are of
> the tv to avoid unused areas and avoid the window mythtv runs in. But..
> for me it is so large that I can't see all the options in the
> 'recordings' menu etc. Do I adjust this from XF86Config solely? I live
> in Norway, PAL country.

As well: Look at the link in my sig. The walkthrough's a bit outdated,
but those bit are still valid. Look at the end. You'll have to set the
GUI size and offsets from the myth menus.

> Any hints would be appreciated.

HTH,

Torsten
--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough