[mythtv-users] Ratpoison overscan

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 9 13:22:25 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 12:17, Josh Burks wrote:
> I'd like to run my myth box without a WM. Can anyone provide a quick
> rundown how?
>
> Does "Window Manager" = Xfree86, X.org, xdm, gdm, etc.
>
> OR
>
> Does "Window Manager" = Gnome, KDE, XFCE4, Fluxbox, etc.

Neither.

Xfree86, X.org	= video display subsystem

xdm, gdm, kdm	= login/session manager

Gnome, KDE, XFCE4 = Desktop environments (can be configured to use
bundled or 3rd-party window managers)

See here (http://xwinman.org) for a collection of window managers, such
as:

fvwm
blackbox
metacity
evolution
sawfish
WindowMaker
fluxbox
AfterStep
mwm
ctwm
twm

...and more

The window manager is the application responsible for managing windows
-- drawing title bars and other decorations, window movement, resizing,
windowshade behavior, iconfying windows, icon management, etc.

A "desktop environment" is a collection of programs/subsystems that
provide a more integrated desktop experience than simply a collection
of separate programs.  If you're planning on running a dedicated Myth
box (i.e., output to your TV only), then this is probably not what you
want.

-JAC