[mythtv-users] TV-Out with a PNY Gforce 4 MX 440

Clint Gilders techservices at onlinehobbyist.com
Wed Jun 9 09:16:05 EDT 2004

Markus wrote:
> I saw the light...I got further, but I believe Xwindows dies after the
> Nvidia logo was displayed (yeah!) but then when it's loading up (I think it
> showed that it was starting CUPS) it froze.  Ssh'ed into machine and
> switched the XF86Config files back, and issued a reboot.  (Man, I'm getting
> good at that :-)
>
> Ideas?  I've seen some mention logging; is there a way to enable it or view
> my log?  (Newbie to Linux)...
>
> Markus

You don't need to reboot everytime you switch X config files.   You can
edit the config file and then give the command `startx` to see if X will
start.   If it does but you want to make changes and try again you can
use Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to exit/restart X.

One thing that jumped out at me in your original message was that you
have the metamodes set to 1024x768,1024x768 .  This means your
television and monitor will both try to run at 1024x768.   Most standard
televisions aren't capable of that resolution.   Mine runs at 800x600
and I've had some that had to use 640x480.

So, a metamodes like "1024x768,640x480" might be a good idea.

If you look at the README on the NVIDIA site you'll see this:

----------
To enable TwinView, you must specify the following options in the Device
section of your XF86Config file:

Option "TwinView"
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync"     "<hsync range(s)>"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh"   "<vrefresh range(s)>"
Option "MetaModes"                  "<list of metamodes>"

You had these in "Section Monitor".   I also put the TV-Out settings in
my Device section not my Monitor section.

As someone else suggested you'll probably want add:

ConnectedMonitor "CRT,TV" in your device section as well.

--
Clint Gilders <techservices at onlinehobbyist.com>
Director of Technology Services