[mythtv-users] Weird alsa problem

Tom Wardill myth at twardill.net
Tue Jun 8 07:19:18 EDT 2004

Hi.
Just in the middle of setting my first mythtv box up using Gentoo.
Have the program itself up and working fine, but I've hit a strange problem
in ALSA.
If I unmute the Line input on my soundcard using alsamixer (SB. Audigy) then
I can here the tv input fine. However, I can't record it. I've tried using
/dev/dsp and anything else I can find that looks relevant, but all I get
through that is silence, if I turn the volume up really far, I can just
about hear the program.
This means that my mythtv recordings have no sound, but I'm not quite sure
where the problem lies.
I think ALSA is capturing from the wrong source, but I can't find a way to
change it, pressing space on the source in alsamixer does nothing, I don't
get the capture indicator.
Following the mythtv guide and doing this:

$ amixer set Master,0 100%,100% unmute
$ amixer set Line,0 75%,75% mute captur
$ amixer set Capture,0 100%,100% mute captur $ su # alsactl store # exit

Breaks on this line:

amixer set Capture,0 100%,100% mute captur
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Capture',0

I can't seem to set the capture source. I'm using the gentoo kernel 2.6.5-r1
and the latest alsa builds, I've tried both the ebuilds and the latest
source packages from the official website.

Can anyone offer any advice on what the problem might be?
I've tied posting on the gentoo forums and googling for a solution, but I
was referred to trying this list.
Thanks for any assistance
--
Tom Wardill