[mythtv-users] live tv over network?

David Huseby david at surreal.com
Mon Jun 7 20:52:47 EDT 2004

-] Absolutly, no problem.  One note - I believe anything other
-] than TV is done on the frontend - Games, Music, Video, etc.

That's what I figured.  So the playback of recorded shows, music, and
ripped DVD's is all done via file access over the network (NFS, SMB,
etc)?

-] Not sure why you need multiple back ends for this - you can have
-] multiple capture cards in one backend - especially if they're
hardware
-] encoders.

I thought the PCI bus/IDE bus would have a hard time keeping up with the
data...I figured that two hardware encoders was about all I was going to
get out of the hardware.  Anybody successfully run 4 PCI hardware MPEG2
encoders in the same back end?

-] Should be fine - I get two frontends off an NFS server over 100BaseT
-] hub.

Anybody know what the main bottle neck is in the MythTV system?  It
seems to me that with gigabit ethernet that the bottleneck would be the
HDD's in the server.  I'm eventually going to want to run 5-6 front ends
on my network.

-] Not sure about the EPG - or how trasparent is it to switch
-] between the sources.

It seems to me like the logical solution is to number the *logical*
inputs and then you could describe a channel like 1.4, 1.372, 2.9.1
where the first number is the logical input number and the number after
the decimal is the channel.  By logical input I mean video source.  For
instance I plan to have two DirecTV receivers and one terrestrial HDTV
receiver.  That would equal two logical inputs, one for DirecTV channels
and the other for the terrestrial HDTV channels.  MythTV would then have
to resolve recording conflicts amongst the logical inputs because for
instance I can record two shows at once from my first logical input, but
I can only record one show at a time from my second logical input.  With
this setup, the guide could present the channels from the logical inputs
one after the other with different background colors.  It would also be
nice to allow interleaving of channels in different logical inputs so
that I could see that my local sports team is playing and it is
available in normal TV from DirecTV but it is also available in HDTV
from my other logical input.  <shrug> I thought I'd throw out the idea.

Dave