[mythtv-users] MPEG-4 Decoder hardware

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 7 11:23:10 EDT 2004

On Saturday 05 June 2004 16:23, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Is there any known MPEG-4 decoder hardware that works with MythTV?
> I'm looking to build a frontend utilizing and old PIII-450 and my
> main backend has a WinTV card that I record in RTJPEG on and
> transcode much of it to MPEG-4 for storage.  I also have a large
> number of Videos that I have encoded as MPEG-4 and I'd love to have a
> frontend that could play this back using my existing hardware.   I've
> come across some boards from Sigma Designs but didn't see much in the
> way of Linux support nor could I tell that if it did have Linux
> drivers if those would be enough to work with MythTV or if something
> more was necessary.

Keep in mind that even if you did get a suitable HW MPEG-4 decoding
solution, it would likely have problems with Myth.  Myth uses an MPEG-4
video codec, but does not use an MPEG container format for it, nor does
it multiplex the audio and video streams.  Any HW MPEG-4 solution would
likely expect a compliant MPEG-4 stream.

-JAC