[mythtv-users] New Myth install question

David myth at dgreaves.com
Mon Jun 7 04:14:35 EDT 2004

John Craig wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I have a fresh install of Myth on Fedora Core1 and I have been
> following Jarods directions from wilsonet.com/mythtv.
>
> I am a newbie so bare with my bonehead questions please.

Have you seen:
Official docs: http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall
Unofficial Wiki: http://www.mythtv.info/
IVTV Wiki: http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/tiki/tiki-index.php

> I am up to the point of doing a test capture (step 11) and while I am
> able to capture (and play back) dead air I am not getting any video,
> or audio.  So you know what I am dealing with here is a list of my
> equipment:
>
> Direct TV RCA reciever model: DRD435RH
> P3 633 cellery
> 576MB Ram
> Nvidia video card (set up for X-win only, using the PVR for TV-out)
> PVR-350 tuner/capture card
> Onboard Via chipset sound (Via 82cxxx)
>
> Initially I had the RCA reciever hooked up to the PVR's S-Video input
> and I was getting diagonal streaking lines in the capture.  Then it
> dawned on me that the way Jarod's setup went it was enabling the tuner
> which meant that I needed to use the Coaxial cable input.  I switched
> to that and got a blank (black) screen in my capture, which is
> encouraging becuase it indicates that it is getting some kind of signal.
>
> So then I hooked the coax up through my game system selector box
> (basically an A/V multi-source switch) which assignes a channel (3 or
> 4) much like a VCR does for an antenna input.  After doing this I was
> able to capture audio and a blank screen.
>
> So I guess I have a couple of questions...
> 1) Is there some additional step that I need to take to get the tuner
> to view the correct channel without using the A/V switch or a VCR to
> assign channel 3?

Dunno - I use s-video :)

> 2) Ultimately I would like to use the S-Vido input on the PVR-350
> directly from the RCA reciever.  Is there some way to enable that and
> just forget about my previous question?  This seems the logical choice
> since I would prefer to go S-video all the way rather than converting
> to RF and then back to S-Video on the PVR's output.  Also I assume
> there is some way to set the audio input to the input on the PVR-350
> rather than the RF (coaxial) input.

Yep
and it's pretty simple :)
In myth, in the capture card setup set the default input to s-video0

test_ioctl is quite a useful tool. It lets you prod the ivtv driver and
change settigs like input select pal/ntsc etc

David