[mythtv-users] Re: Clean 0.15 install, what should I save from the old DB?

Aleaxander alex at carbonated.com
Sun Jun 6 17:08:36 EDT 2004

Bruce Markey wrote:

>> At which point I get this error:
>> ERROR 1048 at line 1: Column 'subtitle' cannot be null
>>
>> I'm wondering if because I've started with fresh and unused 0.15
>> database, are there fields that have not yet been created by Mythtv?
>> I'm stuck at this point and would really appreciate any help or a push
>> in the right direction.  I'm desperate!
>

> Well, you are certainly making a gallant effort. The "preroll"
> and "postroll" fields were renamed "startoffset" and "endoffset".
> Several fields no longer allow NULL so the INSERT statements should
> now have "''" in place of "NULL". You could try editing your
> restore file to search and replace for each of these but then
> it would likely reveal the next difference.

Success!  It was easier for me to go into the restore.sql and change the
  "NULL"'s to "''" than to reinstall 0.14.  It turns out that there were
three Columns that needed to be changed: subtitle, description and
category, which were all under the "INSERT INTO record" sections.

After each error message (for example, ERROR 1048 at line 1: Column
'subtitle' cannot be null), I manually went in and changed the offending
column marked "NULL" with "''", and tried merging the databases again with:
$ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg < restore.sql

It would spit out an error as to what the name for the next offending
Column that could not be null was, and I'd go in an do that one.
Luckily, there were not that many places I had to change (three
columns), so manually doing this was not the end of the world (but I'm
sure there is a better way to do this!  I'm just a newbie : ).

Thanks so much for all of your help!

-Alex